How do I update the IPMI firmware on a Supermicro server?
- Gather the motherboard model by booting the server into Linux and running the command
dmidecode | grep -A 2 'Base Board' which should state a product name like
- Navigate to Supermicro's IPMI download page and search of the product name you just found.
- Click your proudct name
- Click "BMC/IPMI Firmware" in the right sidebar
- Download the firmware, accepting any license agreements
- Unzip the doanloaded firmware
- Log into the server's IPMI HTTP GUI
- Under the "Maintenance" menu, select "Firmware Update"
- Click the "Enter Update Mode" button
- Browse to, and upload the .bin file in the top level of the firmware you unzipped
- After the upload, ensure the IPMI firmware update is shown
- Start the update
- After the update finishes, wait at least 1 minute and refresh the page
- You are now on updated IPMI firmware